One of Those Weeks


^^ That’s how I feel right now. Scrambled.

I took Peanut to the doctor last Thursday because his eczema was acting up. He had two spots that were just… gross. Broken skin, oozing, bleeding, gross. The doctor prescribed a topical antibiotic and sent us on our way. Over the weekend his eczema just kept getting worse. The two spots weren’t getting any better and he was getting several other areas of extremely dry, patchy, swollen, bumpy, red, scaly skin. Oh, and he got sick (two unrelated things – but totally sucked that they were happening at the same time).

Monday rolled around and he was super congested and still having problems with his eczema. My mother in law had a migraine and couldn’t watch him (she watches my son while Hubs and I work), so I stayed home – which was totally fine because I wanted Peanut to be home to make sure he was getting a good nap (comfy in his own crib) yada yada. I called his doctor’s office first thing Monday morning and asked for a referral to a pediatric dermatologist. I finally got a hold of one that could see us the next day (Tuesday). The first office they referred me to had a three week wait. No thanks.

Tuesday morning Hubs met Peanut and I over at the dermatologist’s office. (We had no idea what was actually triggering Peanut’s eczema. We’ve known he’s had eczema since he was about 6 months old but it was more like, “oh, your skin is dry, I’ll put some moisturizer on it”. It was never as bad as it was on this day. He had broken out with it all over his body and face. It didn’t use to bother him, but he started really scratching and crying about it when he’d try to relieve the itch. We could tell he was totally uncomfortable and he wasn’t sleeping well because of it – he’d roll his shoulders against the crib or rub the spots since we kept mittens on him so he wouldn’t scratch. Knowing that it was actually bothering him made it 100 times worse in my head. He started getting it really bad after he started getting cow’s milk, so I thought it might be that.) The doctor didn’t think it had anything do with cow’s milk and thought it was just coincidence that that’s when it started flaring up. He had us get some stuff that is truly “Free and Clear”, unlike some store products that claim to be, but are not.

After his appointment, around 11:00 AM, I ran around getting the stuff the doctor prescribed, grabbed lunch, and headed home to stuff my face eat, and wait for Hubs to get home. While at the appointment we got a text from my mother in law that she was going to see a cardiologist, so she wouldn’t be able to watch Peanut again. Hubs got home around 12:30 (lunch time) and worked from home the rest of the day so that I could head into work.

Tuesday afternoon (after I got to work) we found out that my mother in law was being admitted to the hospital for a blockage in her heart. She waited in the waiting room for almost EIGHT HOURS before she got a room. That’s ridiculous. Anyway, she got a room at around 10:00 PM, but had to wait until the next morning to get any more testing done.
As soon as I got off work that day, I headed home and gave Peanut a bath with the new stuff the doctor prescribed and then moisturized with the new cream.

Hubs stayed home Wednesday and I headed to work. We found that after getting an Angiogram, my mother in law did NOT have a blockage (Thank God), but still had some other things to go through before being released. She was able to go home around 4:00 PM. When I got off work we headed over to see her and see how she was doing and just hung around for a little while.
After just one day, Peanut’s skin was already looking SO MUCH better. I was relieved.

I stayed home on Thursday (since Hubs had stayed home twice in a row). I ran some errands and then went home and did some cleaning.

Now it’s Friday and I’m at work while Hubs is home with Peanut again. Oh, and Peanut passed his wonderful congestion and cold on to me, so I look like I’m sitting at my desk crying (congested, runny nose, watery eyes). Wahhhh, but better me than him.

Peanut’s skin is almost all better. The open sores are no longer open. They’re still a little red and tender, but they’re healed over. THANK GOODNESS.
My mother in law is doing well also. Just recovering from the Angiogram.

Whew. I am ready for the weekend.

*I just thought I’d add in here that the body wash and skin cream they had me get for Peanut does not require a prescription, it’s just hard to find. The doctor told me that sometimes you can get it from a drug store, but you can almost always find it at a compounding pharmacy. I didn’t want to bother with running around to all the different drug stores to find it, so I just went to the compounding pharmacy down the street. The brand is Vanicream and I got the Vanicream Cleansing Bar ($4) and the Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream ($16). I got a huge tub of the cream because the only other option they had was a sample for $6. The tub is huge and will last me a loooong time, so the price is okay. This stuff seriously started working the very next day. I would not hesitant to pay those prices again. Peanut went from sores (some open, some not) all over his body to 90% healed in one day. ONE DAY.*

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s