Sharing My Weekend – Coordinating a Wedding

Just a warning – this is going to be a crazy long post about my crazy long weekend. If you’re looking for a tutorial or a recipe today, you’ve come to the wrong place! Check back later please. =] If you actually want to hear about my crazy, long, tiring, fulfilling, exhausting, busy weekend – keep on reading! (Hey dad! – I figure you’re the only one still reading.)     =]

Oh. My. Goodness. I have been nonstop busy this past weekend (starting Thursday night) and right now I am so tired I’m not sure how I’m writing this post. I don’t even know how I got to work this morning. I was on autopilot, I think. I might have actually slept the whole way – with my eyes open.

Okay, so Thursday I got up and went to work like any other day. I got off at 12 noon (unfortunately that’s not like any other day) because I was helping my friend coordinate her wedding and Thursday was her rehearsal. I went grocery shopping before I went home because I knew I wouldn’t get a chance to do it Friday (since the actual wedding was Friday night). When I finally got home, I got ready and off to rehearsal we (Hubs and I) went! It was scheduled to start around 6:30 and I got there around 5:30. I thought I was going to be help set up for the wedding the next day, but it turned out that I was the only one from the wedding there. There was another group setting up for an event, but I didn’t really think anything of it. When the bride got to the rehearsal I could tell she was pretty mad about something… Um, they double booked her rehearsal. She was not a happy camper. The people inside that I didn’t really think anything about? Ya, they were setting up for an event that night. Luckily, we still got a chance to do a couple of walk thrus, but it was done in the middle/around people setting up for their event that night, so that was kind of frustrating. Especially for the bride. After that, around 7:30, we all headed to the rehearsal dinner at an American/Italian place called Gravy. It was within walking distance so everyone just formed a group and walked together. The space was REALLY neat. Once we got inside, we went down a set of stairs that lead to a basement/wine cellar type of setting with tables laid out for us. There were lights strung across the ceiling and it was all exposed brick. It was really cool. I tried to take a picture but it was too dark. (Side note – I know the bride through work, so I didn’t really know anyone else there. Luckily, my wonderful fab-tab-ulous husband came along with me so I wouldn’t feel left out.) We sat with some really nice people on the last table and just talked and enjoyed our meal. I got the shrimp with angel hair pasta and let me tell you something – it was the best shrimp with angel hair pasta I have ever had. Ever. In my life. It was soooo good! We headed home around 9:30 or 10:00 and got home around 10:30 or so.

Friday morning I got up and went to work like any other day. I got off at 12 noon again and went straight home to get ready for the wedding. The wedding was scheduled to start at 5:30 and I needed to be there no later than 3:30. We (Hubs and I) got there on time and started helping with decorations. The ceremony and reception were going to be in the same room, so the room needed to be “flipped” after the ceremony. Anyway, we helped set up and clear out what wasn’t supposed to be there. Guests started showing up around 4:15 so I manned the guest book table. The bride had a large poster that had a tree on it with some love birds (her theme was love birds) and the “guest book” was that everyone would sign a leaf. It was a really cute idea! I started leading the processional at 5:30, and after the ceremony I lead the guests out one row at a time so that I could give them their sparklers for the bride and groom’s “exit”. Everyone went downstairs and lined up outside (there was only one elevator for about 150 people so this was tedious). The bride and groom did their fake exit and off on the trolley they went for pictures (along with the bridal party). The guests went into the art gallery next door for the cocktail hour. Hubs and I run back upstairs to help set up for the reception and then I ran back downstairs so that everyone would have time to get back up the elevator before the bride and her party came back. Then the bridal party and bride and groom were introduced into the reception room (by the DJ). They had their first dance, the Pastor went to their table to say a blessing, and then I lead the tables out one by one to get their (buffet style) food. I made sure the Best Man and Maid of Honor were prepared for their speeches. Then the bride and her father had their first dance. After that, everyone danced for a couple of songs. Then they cut the cake and they did the bouquet toss. I am just going to say that I was NON STOP on my feet (in four inch heels) for TEN hours. I sat down for MAYBE fifteen minutes while the bride and her dad danced. It was such a task to keep everything going smoothly, keep things on time, answer questions, and make sure everyone was comfortable and having a good time. As I am writing this out I’m thinking to myself, “man, that really doesn’t sound like a whole lot” but seriously, it was A LOT. Non stop. I was sooooo exhausted by the end of the night. And poor Hubs was just stuck at the table. Luckily the people at the table were really nice. =] They all kept calling him a wedding crasher because he was “by himself”. Haha, poor Hubs. He really did help me out with setting up and everything so thanks Hubs! We got home around midnight and went to bed around 3 AM.

Saturday morning we slept/laid in bed until around 11:30. WE. NEVER. DO. THAT. Seriously. But we were both just so tired! We ate our breakfast and started painting the downstairs hallway around 2 PM. We finished with half of it around 4 and then got our showers and headed to our neighbors Harvest Party. That was a lot of fun. She had a couple games set up that were pretty cool. When you walked in everyone got a sticker on their back with a candy bar labeled on it. You had to go around the room and ask everyone two yes or no questions and try to guess what candy bar you were. I was a Nutrageous bar and Hubs was Reese Pieces! We also played Pictionary which was pretty hilarious. They even set up a bonfire outside towards the end of the night which was nice and cozy. I don’t even remember what time we went home…

Sunday morning we got up and went to church, went to Walmart for a few things, came home, ate lunch and then started painting again. We finally finished painting around 5:30, got our showers, and FINALLY relaxed. I am so happy we finally got around to painting the hall way. If you follow this blog you’ve heard my excuses already – haha! We have lived in our house for a little over a year now, so yes, it’s about time! We moved in on March 27th, 2011 but I was planning our wedding so the house stuff kind of got pushed back. Then earlier this year we had some family come and live with us for a few months and it was hard to work on house stuff considering there were four adults, four dogs, and a baby in the house. ANYWAY, it’s done, I can finally start hanging things on my walls and I am super excited!

Okay, I am going to take a nap now. Right here, on my desk at work. Good night.

UPDATE: I finally got around to actually posting some pictures that go with this post. =]
Check it out here!

3 thoughts on “Sharing My Weekend – Coordinating a Wedding

  1. Wow – I did wonder where in the world you had been, but I really wasn’t around much either. 4″ heels??? You are a brave girl wearing those, I give you that! I have hardly done anything other than mess with the computers (long story there) all weekend. Yesterday I ordered a 2gig RAM stick for hubby’s netbook – with the extra $9 I paid for quick shipping, it should be here tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest – then I’ll put that in. I’m waiting for a sale that starts on Thursday and I’m going to go pick up a new 22″ LED monitor for him (it will hook to the teeny, tiny 10″ netbook). Then, he should be all set and be able to use his computer – we’ve been sharing and I won’t even get into how that is going… stinks to only have one computer between two people who both like to be online a lot!

    I’m feeling exhausted for some reason and am thinking I’m going to head back to bed. Ever since I started feeling better (was a bit sick last week) I can’t seem to get enough sleep and I’m usually suffering from insomnia! I need to reply to a few comments on my blog and here I am typing to you instead – bad girl, I know! OK, it’s official – I’m going to go crash for a few hours. If I wasn’t tired enough on my own, I came here and read about your weekend and it tired me out even more, lol! So, since you’re at work (I’m assuming) I’ll nap and enjoy it for you, how’s that? 😉

  2. Okay, I am a little more awake now and can really respond – ha! I was sooo tired!! Anyway, yes 4 inch heels. Eek! Yikes, computer troubles are never good! Especially if you’re like me and don’t know what to do when something goes wrong! I bet it would be hard to have one computer to share between the two of you! Luckily the Hubs and I each have a laptop. I am on my computer so much at work though that I hardly EVER get one when I am at home.
    I am glad you are slowly starting to feel better! It’s never fun being sick! The weather has changed here A LOT. I swear it was like 80 degrees last week and now it’s 50!

Leave a Reply to runtspickins Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s